In 1857 when the original log building was built, it was located on the banks of Cottonwood Creek. A baptistry was built out of concrete close to the creek with a well and hand pump to fill it. The second building was built around 1898 and moved to its present location around 1955 during the construction of Lake Lewisville. It was the first building built of planks brought by wagon from Jefferson, Texas. Originally, there were two front entrances—one for men and the other for women. At the move it was remodeled, adding classrooms and converting the front to a single entrance.
In 112 Years in the Little Elm Community Ruth Harris states that this church was started by Jim Wilmeth. According to the family of Joel Simmons Clark it was he who helped organize the church with perhaps Jim Wilmeth preaching. On November 22, 1898, Joel S. Clark and wife Emily donated two acres for upon which the building was built.